how to do a feldenkrais lesson
- Lie down on the floor on a blanket. Not the bed. It's too squishy.
- Give yourself permission to attend to yourself in a deep, almost meditative way. Gently experiment with the movement suggestions. Do not push, pull, or struggle against yourself.
- Do not do "reps." Instead of repeating a movement mechanically and mindlessly, stop when your attention drifts.
- Stop before anything is uncomfortable. Do less, imagine it, or rest.
- Move your attention around your musculoskeletal system. Pushing harder against the same trajectory is madness! Instead, change the trajectory, change the initiation point, or change the places that soften.
- Listen for what feels comfortable and easy. Remember, your nervous system does not learn if you are mean to it.
- Do not worry whether you're doing it correctly. There is no correction, only more variation. It is through the variations that your system will extract a new, more efficient pattern. Once you've done a few lessons, you'll see how it works.
- Read these three articles: